HOMEOPATHY = HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACOLOGY
FROM “THERAPEUTIC METHOD” TO BRANCH OF SCIENCE.
An important problem of scientific correctness, of logic, of moral, of justice.
Prof.Dr.DUMITRU DOBRESCU, M.D,Pharm.B.
1. Homeopathy – “therapeutic method “. Usually Homeopathy is thought to be a “therapeutic method”. This is a wrong vision, in my opinion. A method is a process used to obtain a result. To be carried out, a method needs an instrument. The instrument of Homeopathy is the homeopathic drug, currently named remedy. Talking on “drug”, we think, by association, to the usual drugs, which are allopathic drugs. Being drugs, it seems logic to think that it must to exist a general physiognomy and at least some joint features between the two categories of drugs. I consider being extremely surprising the fact that, during over 200 years of existence of Homeopathy, although all its knowledge was built having as ground the homeopathic drug, the attention and concerns of homeopaths were so much concentrated on “therapeutic method” that they were not able to observe and to give the proper weight to the instrument of method, the homeopathic drug, without which, the existence itself of Homeopathy would be impossible. It is unquestionably that the homeopathic drug, with its specific features, represents the reason of being of Homeopathy. I believe that this gap is the main reason which determined the remaining of Homeopathy in a situation of quasi stagnation, with the heavy employment of the redundancy of extant data and with the absence of a scientific systemizing of its valuable knowledge, which could lighten both the appropriation and the practice of the method. In the same time, in the definition of Allopathy, it is considered also a “therapeutic method“, underlying that the principle is opposed to Homeopathy. Allopathy has in the centre, as instrument, the drug. Unlike Homeopathy, Allopathy developed in a spectacular way, by rapid assimilation of all the scientific achievements. Although they were born in the same time, only Allopathy was adopted by the academic media. The jarring evolution of the two science of drug is illogical and represent o very great mistake of the human society. Homeopathy was born in a time when the treatment of illness used rudimentary methods and rough natural products. This birth was an intellectual reaction against ignorance. In that time there wasn’t experimental medicine and scientific research. Hahnemann, founder of Homeopathy was also founder of experimental medicine. But because nobody thought to the experimental method on animal, Hahnemann realized his experiments on human being. As a supreme irony, today Allopathy is considered medical science, while Homeopathy is the same, eternal “therapeutic method “ and “alternative medicine”.
2. Definition of a branch of science: A branch of science is defined by many coordinates, which can be considered also as criterions to accept it:
-the domain approached
-the object of study
-laws that rule the phenomenon studied or the inner relations
-conception on structure, content, function
-a certain arrangement of the knowledge and classifications of content in the frame of it’s own structure, specific to the content
-strict work methods, for proper studies or for application of concepts
-facts and phenomenon must be reproduced, their variations must be expressed quantitatively, the respective values must have statistical significance.
3. Stages to constitute a branch of science: In the formation and the development of any domain of knowledge we can distinguish, at the beginning, an analytic stage. Isolated authors or community of researchers search, with adequate methods, the most diverse facts and phenomenon of the domain. The results are published in scientific journals. In the long run there add a great number of data, representing quantitative, non-systematized accumulations. After a time, these data begin to be grouped together, appear elucidations, conceptions, laws, all of them representing qualitative changes, corresponding to the synthetic stage, which marks the setting up of the branch of science. Further, the existent material grows by the description of general aspects (“general part”) and special aspects and outline a “fundamental part “ and a “applied part “.
4. Allopathic Pharmacology – branch of science Analytic stage Before the second half of XIX-th century, the science of drug was not constituted. It was the time of analytic stage of the future Pharmacology. There were number of isolated experiments and results. Between these we mention some. In a book printed in 1639, in Spain, by an augustin monk, there is the description of the use of cincona tree bark in the treatment of malaria. After two centuries, in 1820, Caventou and Pelletier isolated quinine, the first substance with specific action used in the treatment of illnesses. In 1783 Withering published a book on digitalis in the treatment of hydropsy. In 1803 Serturner isolated morphine. Abel (1897) and Takamina (1902) isolated epinephrine in crystalloid form. In 1914 Dale searched acetylcholine. Till the second half of XIX-th century the knowledge on drug was brought together in books named “Materia Medica “. They prevail natural products, mainly vegetal, which were presented in alphabetic order. Synthetic stage Pharmacology, as independent science, with its own problems and methodology, dates from the second half of XIX-th century. There came out books of Pharmacology, with their own structure and specific systemizing of content, marking the entering in synthetic stage. And automatic, without questions, controversies and fights, it became Pharmacology of Allopathic method. This evolution has at least four main reasons.
a) The drug (allopathic) was always, logically, in the middle of attention, the objective of researches and development. There was a general agreement that it is not worth the candle to discuss that the Pharmacotherapy can’t exist without drug.
b) All the time Pharmacology assimilated with rapidity the new acquisitions of fundamental sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology);
c) There were no debates on the one “allopathic therapeutic method“. The vast utilization of the allopathic drugs (“Allopathic Pharmacotherapy“) is a natural result of the application in practice of the total, complex knowledge on the drugs, belonging to Pharmacology.
d) Any new acquisitions in Pharmacology brought important economic and financial gains, via the pharmaceutical industry. This industry grounded mainly on allopathic Pharmacology, is one of the strongest in the world. It is very interested to intense support the pharmacological (allopathic) researches.
5. Homeopathic Pharmacology – branch of science – General appreciations. For Homeopathic Pharmacology the situation is a lot different, in comparison with the Allopathic one. Its evolution has at least four main reasons.
a) Nobody ever spoke about the homeopathic drug as the indispensable instrument for homeopathic practice, as the central subject of Homeopathy. The title “Homeopathic Pharmacology “ was absent, in a accurate meaning.
b) In the middle of the attention was always “the therapeutic method “and the search to find proper modality to satisfy the law of simillimum.
c). That is why the concerns to assimilate the new acquisitions of the fundamental sciences were almost absent and Homeopathy continue to be considered “alternative medicine“.
d) The homeopathic drug, as a secondary actor in the “therapeutic method“, is much cheaper and non attractive for economic and financial business. Taking into account these reasons it impose the following conclusions. i).In the history and evolution of Homeopathy there was a wrong orientation ,giving the main significance to the “therapeutic method” instead of the drug . ii).To be correct in front of the truth and the science and to serve fairly the health of people , Homeopathy must change it’s outlook . It is necessary : -To put the homeopathic drug in the middle of attention; To consider Homeopathy identical with Homeopathic Pharmacology; -To apply for research and practice of Homeopathic Pharmacology the general rules of Pharmacology , respecting it’s own principles . Analitical stage During the 200 years of homeopathic practice , there were not only therapeutic activities , to treat tremendous number of patients , the greatest part with favorable results .Many experimental researches , both fundamental and applicable , were made , having as theme all the theoretical and practical questions arised longhtways of time .There are researches on microorganisms ,vertebrate animals , human being ; methods of imunopharmacology , imunoallergology , psychopharmacology . There is worth citing the proving of inversion of effects or Hormesis .In the homeopathic literature it can be found both individual studies and metaanalysis . In all this literature , when the experiments were managed with the respect of the rules of scientific research , the results demonstrated the efficacy of homeopathic drugs . In the controlled trials the conclusions were that Homeopathy has an superior effect in comparison with the placebo . After an unbiased examination of all the mentioned proves and looking out the coordinates that define a branch of science (point 2 ) , the natural conclusion is that there are enough data to permit the passing to the synthetic stage in the development of Homeopathy . All the coordinates existed till year 2007 , except “ a certain arrangement of the knowledges and classifications of content in a frame of it’s own strucure , specific to the content “.
With the appearance of my book , “HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACOLOGY “ , all provisions are accomplished . It was possible by putting the homeopathic drug in the middle of the building of Homeopathy , instead of “therapeutic method “.In this way HOMEOPATHY become HOMEOPATHIC PHARTMACOLOGY ,what it was always, but was unwise understood and defined . In this context ,the field of drug , the structure of Homeopathic Pharmacology must be , as well as possible , likewise to Allopathic Pharmacology , having of course specific particularities .
* The problem pointed out in the subtitle is a real one and unfortunately with sorrowful consequences for people health. But the problem has a solution. Return to scientific correctness, to logic, to moral, to justice, and setting of the two branches of Pharmacology on equal positions, in the frame of the single science of drug, Pharmacology. Thus, Homeopathy will be, as well as Allopathy, a medical treatment, not an “alternative medicine”.